Monday, April 29, 2013

[29] + Surprise!

Most people who read this already know what's been going on, but I want to document it for my own selfish reasons. :)

Last Tuesday (April 23) I didn't feel 100% and thought maybe I had a UTI.  I went into the doctor's office and got some medicine.  However, Wednesday, I still wasn't feeling right.  I called the doctor again and they asked me to come in ASAP.  I went in and they hurried me back pretty quickly.  The midwife checked me and said I was in labor and would be going next door to L&D. Whew!  Who knew I was walking around in labor?!  I called J, my mom, and Christi (my co-teacher) to let them know what was going on.  Mom headed this way and J left work.  Christi came to the hospital to stay with me until J got there.  It was all pretty much a blur, and the medicine they put me on sure didn't help things!

After almost two days on magnesium, they took me off and hoped that my contractions would not start again.  Hope wasn't enough and I started the first round of medicine (72 hours).  After the first couple of doses, it worked pretty well.  I was also more coherent now, so I remember some things the doctors said... like I thought you were going to have the baby Friday, or I am surprised you are still pregnant.  They also explained why this happened, which I was glad to know, even if there was nothing I could do about it.  GD can cause high levels of amniotic fluid, which apparently I had.  The doctor said my uterus was so full of it, my body thought I had reached term and began labor.  One of the medicines I was on was supposed to reduce the amount of fluid I have.  But no wonder people kept commenting on how big I looked- my body even thought I was full term!

Since Saturday, I have been stable and the doctors are thrilled that I am still here and that we don't have a baby in NICU.  I can shower everyday now and get myself out of bed, but I am still pretty limited on my activities.  I can sit up now though, so that is great! Laying down all the time is tiring!  We still aren't sure if the baby will come early or how the medicine will work, but the doctors are cautiously optimistic and there has even been talk of me going home sometime this week!

So no belly picture for this week, but I feel certain it is smaller than last week since I have less fluid!  :)  If all goes well, I will have a picture for weeks 30- at least 36.

No comments: