Glacier Part 2
We
took our time getting up Saturday. After breakfast, we started the
Going to the Sun Road. I knew that parking lots would fill quickly, so
we had a list of places to stop if there was parking. If not, we would
keep going. I had also purchased the Glacier guide from Guide Along,
which we all really enjoyed. We ended up finding parking near Avalanche
Lake, so that's the hike we did. It ended up being about 5 miles. We had
a picnic lunch, then continued down the road to Lake McDonald before
turning around for the day. We took our supper to a picnic area on St
Mary's Lake before going critter creeping. Cooper spotted a grizzly! We made a quick U turn and saw him walking into the woods. We also spotted an elk in the distance. No pictures because they got too far, too fast.
I
set my alarm for 4:30, but I woke up at 4:00. The sky was clear and I
could already see the Milky Way! (It had been cloudy the previous two
nights.) We woke the kids up and drove to the picnic area across the
street. June was too scared of animals to stay out of the car (not to
mention it was about 45 degrees,) so John and June sat in the car and
watched for meteors while Coop and I stood outside. We saw several in
our 20ish minutes. It was amazing to see SO many stars. Then we went
back to bed for a while. With a late start to the day, we headed on the
Going to the Sun Road again to see what parking would be open.
Thankfully we found a decent spot at the closest hike to us- St Mary and
Virginia Falls. The first part was very exposed due to a wildfire
several years ago. From St Mary Falls to Virginia Falls was wooded and
MUCH cooler. On the way back, we saw a moose in the lake! A moose is the one animal I didn't see last year, so I really hoped to see one this year. I was so excited to see one! The hike was about 4 miles. I had another hike in mind, but the kids were pretty much done at this point. They had hiked 20 miles since we arrived! So we just made our way along GTTS road and out toward the Airbnb. We stopped in Hungry Horse for huckleberry pie and bison and elk burgers. We drove along Flathead Lake and finally got back around 7 pm. Whew!

 |
West Tunnel
|
 |
the water is SO clear, and the deeper spots have a green/blue color
|
 |
Avalanche Lake
|
 |
throwing rocks in Lake McDonald
|
 |
they could have played here all day
|
 |
The Loop
|
 |
St Mary's Lake
|
 |
St Mary's Falls
|
 |
Virginia Falls
|
 |
| MOOSE! |
 |
| marmot |
 |
At the Huckleberry Patch
|
 |
Flathead Lake
|
 |
hiking to Avalanche Lake
|
 |
hiking to the falls
|
 |
Virginia Falls
|
No comments:
Post a Comment