Today was our last day in the Alps. This also meant our trip was quickly coming to an end. Even though I wasn't feeling 100%, I wasn't going to let that stop us for enjoying the day. The weather was beautiful and a perfect hiking day. We took the train to Lauterbrunnen, then hopped on the cable car up to Grutschalp. We could see the cable car from our apartment in Wengen. It was steep! After a short train ride, we were in Murren. Murren is much smaller than Wengen. It was a quaint town and we liked the feel there better. BUT the views are much more beautiful in Wengen, so we were glad we were staying there.
![]() |
| View from train |
After exploring Murren (and accidentally buying sparkling water, yuck!), we hiked to Gimmelwald. Gimmelwald is Rick Steve's favorite town. It's very quaint, as there is nothing there. We didn't find it particularly fascinating, but it was a pretty hike!
We arrived in Gimmelwald just in time to take the cable car to Stechelberg. The cable car goes STRAIGHT DOWN. It is almost 1500 feet difference in elevation. Whew! Once we arrived, we headed down the path to Lauterbrunnen. The valley has 72 waterfalls, and the path took us near most of them. Some were unimpressive and we didn't see them all, but it is still crazy to think that there are that many waterfalls around!
When we got to Lauterbrunnen, we ate at Hotel Steinbock (I think). I was so thirsty and it was $3 for hot tap water with no refills! Thankfully we had some water we had gotten from a fountain so I had something else to drink. I ordered Rosti, a traditional Swiss dish- fried potatoes, cheese, fried egg. It wasn't that good, but I was hungry, so I ate it. J had pork sausage and fries.
After our late lunch, we headed back to Wengen to pack up and for me to rest. We enjoyed finishing our cheeses on the balcony. With a view like we had, we had to soak it in as much as possible.
Pictures just don't do it justice!
to be continued....









No comments:
Post a Comment