Thursday, November 6, 2014

Homemade Bread


This is the recipe that I use to bake our bread.  I am mainly posting it because the original recipe is for four loaves, and I only bake two at a time.  So I inevitably forget to halve an ingredient and end up scrambling to correct my mistake.  Now I won't have to worry about that!  I am posting it how I bake it so I won't have to think so much next time I bake it.  I am so glad I found it though because it is sooo good!



100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread
Makes 2 loaves
Ingredients:
  • 6 cups whole wheat flour, divided in 2
  • 3/4 cups chia seed/flaxseed mix
  • 4 tsp. yeast
  • 1/4 c. honey plus 1 tbsp.
  • 3 tbsp. butter, melted, at room temperature
  • 1 tsp. salt
Directions:
1.   Soak for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours:
  •       3 cups flour in 2.5 cups warm water
  •       3/4 cups chia seeds/flaxseed mix
  •       Cover with damp tea towel

Flour/water mixture shouldn’t be watery.  Water should just mix into flour without any excess.
Make sure there is no dry flour.  Add by the tbsp. if needed.

2.   Start sponge (half hour before starting):
  •       in 1/4 c. warm water, gently mix 4 tsp. yeast and 1 tbsp. honey until just mixed. Set aside.  Do not over-mix.
Sponge should be visibly active: bubbles forming etc. before adding to recipe.

3.   Melt 3 tbsp. butter.  Cool to room temperature.

4.   After flour is soaked and sponge is bubbly add to soaked flour/seed mixture:
  •       melted butter at room temperature
  •       sponge
  •       1/4 cup  honey
  •       1 tsp. salt  
5.   Mix/ knead in 3 cups of flour to right consistency.  Knead for 8 minutes in stand mixer.

6.   Cover with a damp tea towel.  Place in warm spot.  Allow to rise until double: up to 2 hours.

7.   Remove from bowl, punch down and knead for 2 minutes.  Divide into 2 even sizes.

8.   Knead each individual loaf. Roll dough to roughly size of pan.  Pinch to make a loaf shape.  Place in greased loaf pan.  Repeat for next loaf.  Cover loaves with damp tea towel.

9.   Allow to rise until double: up to 2 hours.

10. Bake at 350F (325 for dark pan) for 30-40 minutes or until loaves are lightly brown.





No comments: